As seekers of spiritual knowledge, many of us will go through a period in our lives called the ”Dark Night of the Soul.”
If you are experiencing the Dark Night of the Soul as you read this article, keep in mind that this is all for a purpose. It is all for the sake of reaching the next level in your spiritual journey.
The Dark Night of the Soul is not your average case of depression. It is an extreme low point in our lives where we suffer mentally, spiritually, and physical. During the experience you will feel a sense of hopelessness and despair as you seem to lose all purpose in living. Your perception of reality will be severely distorted, and the way you view life will be abnormally negative.
As painful as the experience may be, you should think of the Dark Night of the Soul as a beautiful experience. A sacred ritual with the purpose of taking you to the next level in your spiritual journey.
The Dark Night of the Soul very often signifies the beginning stages of a spiritual awakening.
6 Signs Signifying the Dark Night of the Soul:
1) Spiritual depression – you begin to doubt everything you thought you knew about your spiritual beliefs. For very spiritual people this will be the toughest part of the experience. The world will appear as if it is one big lie. You may doubt your reason for existing and lose all meaning in your life.
2) Extremely stressful situations – everything you thought couldn’t go wrong…goes wrong. For example, you may go through severe financial hardship – being unable to pay your bills, getting laid off from your job, an eviction notice from your landlord comes out of no where. Basically, the universe just bombards you with the most stressful life situations all at once.
3) Rapid change in your life – things begin to change in your life at such a dramatic pace that it is just overwhelming. You feel like you cannot keep up and are being swept away by the pace of the world.
4) You feel lost and alone – you feel as if no one can understand what you’re going through. And if no one around you shares your spiritual beliefs then you will feel more alone than ever.
5) Psychically and mentally drained – you experience feeling lethargic, sleeping all the time, getting sick too easily. You may feel a severe lack of energy and have trouble performing the basic duties that are necessary to live your life.
6) Depression – you don’t find much joy in the things that used to give you pleasure in the past. You have trouble getting out of bed, socializing with friends, etc. Like I mentioned before, this is not your average case of depression. However, you will experience normal depression symptoms on top of everything else.
My advice to you if you are going through the Dark Night of the Soul as we speak…just surrender to it all. Realize what you’re going through and accept it. Accept the fact that this period in your life is all for a reason. It is all necessary, and you WILL get past this.
The universe is not making you suffer so much without a reason. This is just a step in the awakening process. It is all for the sake of killing your old self so that you can emerge a new man. As cliche as it sounds, “Only by seeing the dark, will you be able to see the light.”
As you finally come out of the Dark Night you will feel a sense of relief that is almost laughable. Your perception of the world will be clearer than ever. Soon enough you will be able to look back at this experience and laugh at the whole thing.
Be grateful that you went through such a process. By experiencing such a dark period in your life now, the hardship you experience in the future will be nothing compared to this.